Home Forums IDIC – FLEET SUMMIT NOVEMBER 2012 Post-Summit General Discussion & Impressions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Post-Summit General Discussion & Impressions

Please post your post-summit comments here. This is for general comment, not focussed on a specific topic or policy. For that please post to the Discussion Topics threads.

To view the complete Summit transcript please refer to this thread http://www.guildalliance.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=388

-PLASMA
    Keymaster

I think with that new leader and council within the fleet Plasma mentioned durring the summit, we need to discuss some changes to accomidate the needs of everyone, this concerns who recuits and how, who earns prizes and makes events, who settles disagreements when they come up and how…with a growing fleet, people will butt-heads, people will want activity…and we do need to organise recuitment and who helps the new comers, and with what. For this, both me and Iskara have compiled ideas for everyone to look over, If you see something that would suit your needs or would make your time in the fleet better let us know. Please comment on what you like and dont like about the submissions or the current system in place, plus feel free to share you own ideas on things you would like to see that may not have been mentioned or offered.

I have not gotten a chance to formaly meet some of our new comers or work with them yet, should you see me on please say hi. Also feel free to ask me for assistance or a team mate, when im on. As a fleet officer, im there for your convenience.

I think for concerning the forums, in my opinion this should be treated as mandatory, as stated, this is our primary form of communication for the guild, and since our guild does cover many games, not all members can join us in our primary fleet in STO. This is open and avaiable to anyone in the guild no matter the game, those involved in the guild need to know this is apart of it as this is where your mates discuss thier thoughts an post important events and discussions. Take time to contribute your thoughts and let us know who you are. Also addressing being away, technically when your in another game, your still in the guild and need to post still so those who arent in your game can still hear from you. Remember guilds clan, and and should stay close like a family so we dont forget one another, this also allows for a chance to meet people outside our games that are in the guild.
    As for people who stop playing, there is this forum and many have offered thier emails at our disposal for each members convenience, so I think communication between members for concerns and times away should be a priority, so we know your intentions and if your coming back. It shows your loyalty to your fellow members and guild, that you would think enough of us to let us all know and not just walk off and never come back unannounced. Its frusterating for active fleets to recruit phantoms. Now on that note, when we recruit we tend to end up with people who dont talk or team, never really take part in our fleet. Some join and play for a day or two and you never see them again. That too should be taken into consideration. Concerning this matter I think there should also be an effort made by our officers to commuincate, or try to with these types of members, this maybe someone to shy to talk and need to find someone he/she can relate to, so they can be brought out of thier shell and join us. Communication is so important, I cant stress it enough. But to our officers, some people just want to be a rock, so dont get discouraged by this, do your best but dont let them monopolise your time, all of our members deserve equal attention and we all need to remember to enjoy ourselves too. DONT let the game burn you out, all MMO’s require grinding (no escape =T.T=) but dont make your whole session grinding or you will loose the point of the game, “make it fun or youll make it boreing!”

Another subject ive been debating about is, availability of our officers, lets also bring into this time zones, maybe have an extention for different times to accomidate members playing them, as discussed durring the summit, having them recruit to populate that time should be goal for them too. Remember though, once you begin to recruit more, you will need to be there for them too, and help them to get setup for our fleet and learn our ways. Every recruiter is in itself an Ambassidor for our fleet, try to give them a good impression and be curteous so they feel welcome and want to stay and participate. From some of the chats ive seen from our new members lately, I think we have added some good people and will enjoy thier company. Having a busy and friendly chat box will always encourage new people to want to take part.

Wow, i typed more then i was planning to say so ill leave it there, please comment and let us all know what you think, and remember read these posts often (bookmark the board index) and click on (view active topics) to see what the latest buzz is. -Cat

***I Typed it wrong when I started this post, so i edited it to say what I meant***

-PLASMA
    Keymaster

Ooh, im so jealous, I wish I could have been in that picture. 🙁

There arent usually people on when I play, its rare, plus not everyone is willing to talk to me, that makes me sad. I hope I can find and recruit some new people to add to my play time. Durring the week, im generally on from 12pm to 2pm new york time. This varies, but I try to get in at least an hour of gaming per day. I enjoy getting to team up for raids, and could use some help acquiring fleet marks for our Star Base assignments, im trying to unlock Elite personal shields for us before I unlock the next Shipyard Tier, thanks. 😎

-PLASMA
    Keymaster

Thank you Luna- yes we did miss you at the summit… All the same we should organize another fleet picture for when you are on also. I am also taking screen shots of recent teaming events that I am involved in and will place on the forums. I encourage everyone to take as many as possible especially when we team up with members, as we like to see what people are doing etc and it advertises our fleet and what we about. Look forward to teaming with u all soon especially for fleet marks.

-PLASMA
    Keymaster

Im going to be up front with my feeling on this, I really dont know how to express this for that matter without sounding rebelious, but I fear whats ahead for the fleet. I will comply with our new leaders wishes, and do as im ordered to, but am not sure a casual fleet will give me what im looking for, nor be productive enough to advance us very far. Yes there will be alot of names in the roster for a long time, but I really dont want to get stuck in a silent ghost town again. That was a very depressing time here, I really dont want go through it again. I appreciate the offer to Star Wars that was made, but im very bored with leveling. I will still use champs for when no ones around. I have even erased most of my toons here because I couldnt keep up with them all. My home will be this fleet, and I will do what I can as always to see to the fleets success.

Please feel free to repond for or against this post, as I would really like to hear everyones thoughts on the matter. But if anyone actually does agree with me, dont be afraid to speak your mind, its not about sides, its about letting it be known what you would like to see your fleet become. Our leaders will need such input in order to make thier decisions about our direction…so please, lets get this topic started in discussion. im asking for everyone to get involved in our fleets future.

IDIC Tactical Officer (Caitian Division) :3

-PLASMA
    Keymaster

My agreeing with your idea, everyone may think im just taking your side because im your sister, but no thats not it at all, and yes i wasent sure if I should have said I liked your idea just for that very reason. But then I considered the fact that if its what I want why should I have to say otherwise, im not going to trouble myself with political posturing, I feel the way I feel. I agreed with catstar because he was right, our fleet members myself included need to think of more then just themselves. I remember Scotty on Generations saying to Kirk, “If somethings important, you make the time.” Im willing to contribute more if more people are around. But being someone who played solo for many months, I know how others feel when no ones there, you keep asking yourself, “why should I even bother, theres no one here?” The only reason I stayed is because cat reminded me that Plasma needed our help as the up coming Star Bases where going to be team effort, and yes, Plasma is my friend, and for me to just leave when my friend still needed my support I would feel so bad. He has been so nice to me, everytime I encounter him hes a gentleman. I wouldnt want anyone to do that to me, it would hurt my feelings. I want my friends to know they can rely on me even when it gets tough. This maybe just a game, but its our club to where all of us hangout, and being a gamer im very happy to be apart of this. But im kinda sad now that Plasma is stepping down I dont really know much of anyone else, I trust him. Some i encounter here wont even talk to me. Who ever is put incharge now, I would ask for an effort to get to know and work with me.

-PLASMA
    Keymaster

Hi guys, I’ve had a stressful couple of days so I haven’t got around to posting the discussion topics as yet.

As for the leadership, at the moment there will be no change until all the discussions have happened, I would say this is also true of the KDF fleet.

-PLASMA
    Keymaster

I had forgotten about the KDF side, hv been caght up on cats personal tiers, but u know, now that i think of it…given how klingons operate with houses and councils, i think that may be a perfect base for iskaras idea. the higher ups dont really mess with the lower warriors, they follow a strict chain of command like the military. (unless ur the Picard :D) big decissions are voted on and overseen by the klingon high command, if i have understood her idea correctly i think it may follow that structure well, especially for RP purposes. Once a klingon becomes boss, his house remains like royalty (king aurthur..with a forehead) and those around him have thier seats permanantly (knights of the round…bloodwine vat??) sry, in a funny mood…

What would u think of ritual combat for obtaining positions? like for deciding whos in charge like they do on the show, who leads teamups, best in a pvp match could be the house of O’dreads tatical officer…”law…*coughs*”

Those in the KDF side should begin thinking of what our plans are going to be there too. I have a cat there ready to fight for the house of O’Dread, “Cat’Plah!”

-PLASMA
    Keymaster

Hi All,

I have been thinking and processing the discussion from the fleet summit and have taken everyones ideas seriously. Firstly I really want to thank all the people who attended the summit, I was so proud to see you all there and honored that you came. It went very well and I thank you for your contributions and thoughts.

I want what is best for our fleet and its people & to ensure the IDIC principals are also taken into consideration . Here are a few of my thoughts so far:

Future goals for IDIC

Future
    Fleet size
    Short & long term goals

It is important to think about our future goal as a fleet, questions that I have been asking myself are:
    Where do we see our fleet in 5 years?
    How big do we want our fleet to be?
    What are our long and short term goals?

I believe once we establish this, we can move forward and have a clear direction and purpose. It might be an idea for people to post comments regarding the above questions. At the moment I am not sure how to answer this and believe we need to discuss this further.

Recruitment and Time Zones

Recruitment is a very challenging aspect in any fleet. Every fleet wants active members, ones that contribute, ones that team up frequently etc etc… If only this could be true and real. Sadly, realistically it is important to realise that this is not ‘normal’ especially in many MMO based games. We are always going to have times where we might be the only ones on in the roster , we may not always get to team with other members as often as we would like. I think it is important to understand that this is not the case, due to time zones, real life and other games taking priority it means that we can not always be on. All the same, we must not loose hope. Instead find ways where we can accommodate such changes and work together to overcome them the best way we can.

A few thoughts have been mentioned to assist those members who come online often and find themselves the only one in the roster. One idea that may work is having a group of consistent members and officers within their time zone to recruit as many new folks as possible. It could work, but a lot of hard work is needed to ensure it actually happens. However, at the same time issues could arise as it means the other officers or leaders whom play at other time zones do not get to meet these new comers, it would be as though the fleet was divided into two parts based on each of the time zones. I believe a fair decision needs to be made regarding the time zone of IDIC – this needs to be realistic and also noted that we can not possibly accommodate every individual member based on their geographic location. At the moment we have many USA, UK & European members whom play during the Australian time zone (thus this was our original idea as our founder was from Australia). It has worked so far, but I can see other members are feeling isolated from being the only ones online. Let’s continue to post our thoughts and discuss!

I think I will leave it there for now, it is enough for everyone to read. I will share further ideas soon.

Thanks for reading this post 🙂

-PLASMA
    Keymaster

Hey, its cool. We have been meeting up on the weekends more often now anyways, I have gotten a chance to meet and team with more of everyone. I think we should however, make it a point to at least all meet up once a week so we dont loose touch with one another. I havent met everyone yet in the Summit picture, I was happy to see that many together, I hope to soon be apart of that kind of gathering. But I dont think our fleet should be like other MMO guilds, we have some really good people here and we have that oportunity to make other guilds look common, should everyone realise what we have here.

-PLASMA
    Keymaster

Fleet Structure and proposals relating to STO

Hi All,

Thank you again for your time in reading these posts.
    I have been reading over CatStar’s and Kara’s proposals for the fleet operations and the structure of ranks and responsibilities and can see valid points in both ideas. Firstly, before I continue please note that I am not taking sides at all, this is not about getting brownie points from anyone, in total I want what is realistically best for our fleet and care for the direction it is heading 🙂

Firstly, I believe we need a fleet that works together on several things and whatever rank one holds, they should be responsible as a team, not individually to get things completed. At current I have already seen many members completing large tasks by them selves and this has caused burn out and frustration.

I certainly can see the ideas of ensuring this does not happen have been portrayed through both parties. I do like the idea that CatStar has presented as the main goal is to ensure team work is given its highest priority in all areas. This will assist with people working together more and also help members not to become burnt out etc. This should not be run as a military operation and thus it is important not to let that happen, keeping that in mind I can not see this has been suggested. It is important to have an organized structure that is fair, realistic and operational. This (Cats) idea brings together peoples talents and individual abilities with out pressure and they can work with like-minded people to accomplish IDIC tasks. I also like the Role play aspect this idea brings and above all it has various aspects which compliment Star Trek in general.

Regarding Kara’s ideas, I do like the idea of role play and rank names for the fleet. The idea of teaming together and being given certain responsibilities is also an obvious factor in this proposal. The challenge that I can see is having a council. This may work in SWTOR and other games and yes it certainly could work here. My challenge is that we are all from different parts of the world and thus when it comes to discussing matters and having council meetings it is nearly impossible to get everyone together – this may be a time zone issue that also needs to be discussed, at the same time this will always be a challenge in itself and I am also not sure if we need a council with the current amount of ‘active’ people in IDIC. I am also concerned that a council of 5 members or more, no matter who they are etc may become ‘clicky’, offended, picky and controlling amongst each other and it may cause division and thus we loose the focus of the fleet. At the same time with more discussion and clarification I am sure such issues can hopefully be resolved.

Above all I think it is important that we remember we are playing Star Trek Online and thus people want to see the ideals and values coming through in our fleet, whether it be for RP and/or fleet structure. If we can make a note for both proposals to keep that as one of our focus, I believe our fleet can be truly fantastic 🙂

in the end this game was made because of the ‘Star trek fans’ !!

-PLASMA
    Keymaster

I haven’t commented on either proposal yet as I am waiting to see if any other proposals are put up.

In addition the guilds IDIC, IJO etc involved will be run through membership of the guild alliance. The best ideas from all proposals should go into a master proposal to run all the guilds using the same rules, at least as far as the common rules relating to ALL MMO’S with game-specific sub-rules where appropriate. That is my goal in reviewing these proposals, what concepts and specifics can be used across all guilds.

-PLASMA
    Keymaster

Thanks Plas. I may have missed something or mis-understood regarding the discussion that the rules and main frame work will be used for all games that have a guild. I guess I was thinking more about STO as that is where the summit was held. It makes sense now and I understand each game is different and thus rank names and other aspects would relate to that particular game.

-PLASMA
    Keymaster

No you haven’t missed anything, but Im just saying this is how I’m evaluating things myself, what can we use for all the guilds that will work.

-PLASMA
    Keymaster

ok thanks 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • The topic ‘Post-Summit General Discussion & Impressions’ is closed to new replies.